Installing theme in WordPress is an easy process as easy as a breeze once you get the hang of it. To help you through any confusions that you may have, you might have heard about the free and premium themes that WordPress has available for you. There are hundreds and thousands of free and premium themes, each boasting their functionality.
You can check out the official WordPress site where you can find standard themes and templates that you might like. For more variations, you can also check specific third parties WordPress development company websites and here are The 5 best free personal blog themes that we suggest to start your blog with.
In this article, we have prepared a beginner’s guide going through two different ways that you can install and/or change a WordPress theme or a template.
1. Installing a FREE theme Using the WordPress Theme Search
Login to your WordPress admin account. Click on the appearance > themes.
You will be redirected to the themes page. On the top of the screen, you will see the ‘Add New’ button. Click on it and you will see a new screen.
Based on your search you will see an array of free themes that you can choose from. Select the one that you want to change to and simply bring your mouse to the selection.You will reveal a menu with install, preview and details button. Click on install button and start the installation.
After completing the installation, you will see a success message and a link to view the preview of the newly installed theme.
2. Installing a theme using the Upload Method
if you wish to install a premium WordPress themes by Third Party companies or even a custom theme, then you will require uploading the theme. Follow the steps below.
- Download the .zip file of the theme that you would like to install on your WordPress site after purchasing it.
- Login to your admin WordPress account and click on
Appearance > Themes.
- Once you are redirected to the next page, you can see the Add New button on the top. Click it.
- You can then see the option of Upload Theme at the top, click on it.
- Next, choose the .zip file that you downloaded earlier and click Install Now.
Your theme will be installed and you will receive the success message shortly.
Once your theme is installed, click on the Activate button to activate your template.
Hope this beginners guide to template installation helped you out! Any questions on how to install a WordPress plugin? Feel free to ask away in the comments below.